Each season is characterised by particular and representative colours, smells and flavors. Autumn bids the Summer goodbye, also taking over from it at the table. Stocking up on delicious and healthy foods this season Autumn is officially on the table in Italy.
When the leaves change colour and from the trees begin to fall, the weather gets colder and the sky darkens before, then we find ourselves in Autumn. With the new season means not only that pumpkins, apples and cinnamon-based foods arrive in abundance but the Autumn reserves much more.
The beginning of a new season always fills us with delight at the thought of the new foods it will bring to the table. Puglia being known for it's fantastic food across Italy and further away prides itself on a cuisine based on local seasonal produce.
This season's foods are rich in disease-fighting antioxidants, nutritious vitamins for the skin and compounds that reduce stress.
Here are the six best foods to be enjoyed in Puglia this Autumn:
1. Grapes: although the fruit is commonly considered as a food for warmer months, grapes are grown mainly in autumn.
2. Broccoli: rich in fibre, broccoli is the best during the autumn months and is an excellent side dish for meals.
3. Raspberries and pomegranates: acidic and juicy, raspberries reach maximum taste in autumn. Pomegranates are bursting with antioxidants perfect to stock up on before the winter.
4. Apples: they contain pectin, which helps lower blood glucose levels and blood pressure; and are also loaded with vitamins A, E and beta carotene.
5. Chestnuts: they are one of the very symbols of autumn: chestnuts are a real delicacy for the palate and contain many beneficial properties.
6. Mushrooms: low in calories and rich in vitamins, mushrooms are among the healthy "vegetables and vegetables" to include in your autumn meals.